Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: travelling dolls?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would like to have a traveling doll but I don't know how to get started. My mom says she doesn't want me to send an AG doll sincen they're expensive and I'm so picky. I freak out if a hair is out of place or if a limb seems loose at all. I am almost 20 so I can do what I want, however I am inclined to go along with what my parents tell me LOL but anyways she is right, I would not do very well if I sent out a real AG doll. Not that I wouldn't trust people, it's just that I am awfully picky and I WOULD freak out if any tiny little thing happened.

    So my mom says I should get one of those Springfield Collection dolls and make it my traveling doll, because they're like AGs only not as expensive.
    Is that okay?

    I read the guidelines and also looked at the traveling doll website already, but I don't really know how to proceed..

    I guess first I would need to buy the doll, get a few outfits for her like the guidelines said get a nightgown, play clothes and a dressy outfit. And get a journal for her. Then I would need to make sure she was packaged well and I had money to ship her to the first person and insurance, right?

    But then what? How do I get people to take her? Will people take her even if she's not a real AG doll? Will that make her less liked? And if people do want her, how do I corrdinate where she should go and how she'll get there? And how do I get people's addresses? I mean who will give it to me on a message board where they don't ven know me. Does this mean you can only send to people you already know? I don't really kow anybody here except online.
    I just have trouble getting started with things. I never fee like I know what to do.
    But I've been wanting this for a long time.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, yeah i remmeber seeing a non-Ag doll or two, but I'm worried that mine wouldn't be as wanted as a doll that is AG. I would want mine to have the same opportunities as it would if I sent out a real AG.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Travellin' Jessie is a Gotz and Gemma is a Berenguer and they seem to be having the same adventures as a real AG. The problem with Springfield dolls is that they do not have the same body type as American Girls so it is harder to dress them

    If you have read the guidelines and website, your next step is to post a message on the board saying I am sending out my doll (Name). She is a (brand). Here is some information about her. And then you ask for hosts and any potential hosts can PM you via the board and tell you when they are available to host.

    Your next step would be to put an itinerary together. It would be cheapest if she travels cross country by geographical location. I.e. states on the west together, then midwest, east coast.

    Do you understand now? Maybe you can ask some previous TD moms to help you out!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member linzystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    People can send you private messages through the site. It says "PM inbox" up in that bar on the top of your screen.

    I've seen some photo albums of traveling dolls, and not all of them are AG dolls.

    I haven't actually done the program though...just going off of what I've read and seen on the site [img]wink.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, I had thought Springfields would be the same as AGs. In the store (a craft store) they looked to be the same size and shape. In what ways are they different? Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The AGs, Berenguers and some Gotz dolls are "semi-strung" dolls, which means that their arms and legs are held into ball-and-socket joints with elastic cords. Here is how they are held together: Restringing Your American Girl ~ An Illustrated Guide

    The Springfield dolls have their arms and legs held in place by "captive" joints and are not semi-strung.

    Gemma, my Berenguer doll, is about to finish up her cross-country odyssey. She is a very much loved doll, one of my most precious. I think the goal of sending a doll on the road is to give others the opportunity to see in her what I see in her. I would be reluctant to host a doll if the person who sent her on the road did not think she was special and worthy of the care it takes to host a doll.

    Taffy

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 21, 2005 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well you don't have to host my doll if you don't want to. Nobody's making you.
    But if other poeple do, I would want them to be nice to my doll, and I would be nice to her just the same as I'm nice to my AG's.
    You can buy Springfield dolls right in a store but that doesn't mean they're not cute or nice. I like them and I wanted to buy one even before I thought of making a traveling doll. I like them.
    I perosnally don't see what is so bad about sending a brand new doll with brand new clothes and then letting other people get to play with her. [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think some people would host your doll, but keep in mind that some people would rather host AG or something more close to AG, like Berenguer or Gotz. I'd probably host, regardless, if I had the time and money, though! [img]wink.gif[/img]


    Are you sure you wouldn't send out an AG? Like one of the ones you're not AS close to? I recently sent out one of mine who I'm close to, but not as close as some of my others.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay, fine. [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] If nobody would like my Springfield doll and wouldn't treat her as nicely as they'd treat an AG, then I guess I'm gonna hafta buy a new AG to send. I did not want to send an AG but the thing is, if I send a Springfield doll, I don't want people to discriminate against her just because of her brand. So I guess if I want to have a traveling doll and for people to be nice to her it'll have to be an AG.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •